Answering some questions

By Oxadrenals. September 9th, 2010

Remember when Flyss met The Eldest?  One of the things Flyss heard her say is, ”I hold the powers equal and let chance decide.”

I have no idea everything she meant when she said it. But one thing I know she meant, because she told me so, is that she’s protecting The Immortality Project from Alexandros and Soraya with their blue&black militia and their red&white military police. That’s the only reason why the Immortal Illuminati haven’t shut us down. They have an army of suited up knife-throwing fire-eating lovelies ready to move in and protect us from ourselves, but the Eldest is holding the powers equal.

For now. Remember the part about “letting chance decide?” She means it. Any moment, if she wants, she can take back her protection.

As for defending our own selves from Alexandros and company: Well, don’t think see. It’s taking a lot of holding to make the powers equal.

On the one hand, they got armies.

Squaring off against them, we got nearsighted Joe on watch in the Crows Nest, a troupe of butt naked shock troops with their underarmor between their ankles, a set of bright new pennies in all the fuse boxes, and a brigade’s worth of smoke alarms unplugged.

That’ll show ‘em! — Oxadrenals

admit it, you knew molly and her mollies

i sincerely hope nothing bad happens to you.

I don’t think it’s genetic. The whole immortality package doesn’t add up that way. Something that is encoded genetically DOES pass from parent to offspring, and both Saul and Blair have said that whatever it is that causes Hafeems & True Immortals doesn’t pass to children. So, I think that the DNA sequencing project, while valuable I’m sure (since it is sequencing the DNA of a perfect specimen), won’t find what is being sought.

I may be wrong, but that is my thought.

One possibility raised by the biologist in charge of the project, “Francine Selis,” is that the mutation causes an embryo to be non-viable. Thus, if it is a dominant gene, and an immortal has one copy of the immortality gene and one copy of ordinary aging, 1/2 the offspring of an immortal/mortal union would be non-viable and the other would be mortal. For immortal/immortal unions, 3/4 would be non viable and 1/4 would be mortal.

Ok, I’m willing to let that compete as a possibility.”Francine” did consider something that I hadn’t. Thank you.

Forgive me if I sound a bit simple here, but I don’t know a whole lot about biology other than the basics.

When you say ‘non-viable,’ does that mean sterile? Like an embryo created by immortal/immortal unions would have a 3/4 chance of being sterile & a 1/4 chance of being born?

Also, why an ear? Couldn’t DNA be sampled from something a little less painful, like say hair or fingernails?…(or an eyeball even…lol)

Non-viable means cannot implant in the uterus, or cannot survive once there, etc. Essentially, a non-viable embryo will not reach a state of development much past the first few weeks. (I think that’s what you meant when you wrote “sterile,” but sterile refers to the parent, not the progeny.)

Regarding the ear: You read Narrative 1, yes? Menniss simply did it in a fit of passion. It was unnecessary violence.

Yes, that’s what I meant by sterile, something like still-born. Thank you for the clarification. :)