Soraya’s Blue&Blacks — and The Eldest

By Flyss. September 24th, 2010

Narrative 7 of the Hanger-On covers a lot of ground. Besides containing that great quote Kate talks about, it takes us to a dark beach where we glimpse Soraya’s blue&black paramilitaries, and then witness the intervention of the Eldest.

I happen to have visited several beaches at night when we were in Santa Cruz a few months back, and the scene reminds me of a couple of photos I took back then.

Here’s a Santa Cruz beach with fire circles like the one Saul and Menniss visit:

Here’s a closeup of one of the fire circles (no naked girls like in the story, sorry):

And here’s a cliff probably a lot like the one the blue&blacks came down:

– Flyss

I’ve been curious about this for quite a long time now. Why don’t you guys speak the Eldest’s actual name on here and not the pseudonyms?

You said she told you way back when:
    “…Speak my name aloud in your world that is not in the world. The other may then find my name, and then find you. Or they may not find my name, and not find you. Some of them are your friends. Some are not. Both friends and not friends live where the trees are cold, and old and soft and high. I will not choose sides, but hold the powers equal and let chance decide.”

I understand that in the past you’ve been trying to keep everyone’s anonymity, but she practically ordered you to say her name. Why continue to hide it?

How interesting, it is revealed the eldest is “indonesian”. i’ll take it on board that’s the truth…

it is been said many times there are immortals living in the remote mountains in indonesia.

COMMENT REMOVED

–Expressions of opinion are fine; insults, belittling and crudity are not. —

We would add also that respect for age is not subservience. “Bob” has clearly not read the previous narratives, and is therefore working on inadequate information.

Stephen, Flyss, Kate and Strattera

Yes i often wonder what is it that they exude more than we can. After all, they depend on us to live and control over us and exert their will on us.

We still tend to call her The Eldest, though. It’s hard to address someone like her on a first-name basis!

[INITIAL PORTION OF COMMENT REMOVED. Note to Bob: This has nothing to do with their "thin skin," but, rather, our own sense of respect. Gratuitous insulting remarks are inappropriate.]

I was serious about the punitive damages concept. When they do appear, the lawyers will be all over them for all the “left to chance” oddities of the immortals.

I don’t get it. what’s with the beach? is that the Eldest ‘s territory and Saul just stepped in…?

• admin says:

I don’t know any more than you do, but it looks like Saul knew the area was some kind of safe zone; he didn’t know, though, that the Eldest was actually living there. It seems like he had no particular way of knowing, and that it was strange for the Eldest to haul off and slap him. On the other hand, she got over it pretty much instantly and went on to other things. Maybe that’s just how she is.

“Are we using a pseudonym? We may have just misspelled it. I think we’re calling her Yahanna everywhere (or Yahahna, etc.)”

That & ‘Yavanna’…which if I’m not mistaken is from Tolkien. So, naturally, I would doubt that as being anything but a pseudonym, unless the Eldest happens to like the immortals of those novels & took it upon herself to adapt the name. In which case, I can’t blame her. :)

• Flyss says:

Is “Yavanna” still up somewhere? I thought we removed it way back when. It was a typo Stephen made. He’s a Tolkien nut, as you know, and so he wrote Yavanna without realizing it. We noticed this because of a comment made by you!
      As for why “Yavanna” and “Yahanna” sound similar: Maybe Tolkien knew something? — Flyss

“Is “Yavanna” still up somewhere?”

~It’s in one of Soraya’s posts, not yours..:
    “My profound apologies to Yavanna for having allowed any such misunderstanding to take place, even for an instant.”

“Maybe Tolkien knew something?”
    That would be interesting, wouldn’t it. XD (Whether Tolkien used it or the Eldest adapted it, it’s still a cool & lovely name.)

My typo! I have Tolkien on the brain. (For obvious reasons, we haven’t actually given Soraya access to the blog. Her posts come hand delivered in writing. I type them in.)

Bob, legally is it possible to sue someone whose name you’ll(hypothetically you are) never be able to find out or even exists in IT records? the lawyers will even brush it off because it’s going to be a long tiring (and expensive) course to try to pursue these high end/high tech immortals.