Saul reminding me of Bob (but a heck of a lot more polite)

By Oxadrenals. October 11th, 2010

Here’s the part I had in mind when I said that Saul said things that reminded me of things Bob’s said.

The world of mortals carries the choice. Or rather, shall make the choice, and in only one way.  For if you stop it here, which you can do, they shall reach it elsewhere.

They’re learning to regrow organs, Eldest, and to construct machines in lieu of organs.  They are reading this DNA and will in time understand the words themselves.

Whether today or in ten centuries, all at once or in fits and starts, mortals shall bring an end to death.  Whether curse or blessing, it shall come as mere fact.

As mere fact, Eldest.

Mortals have the desire, and they shall soon have the power; they will learn to live forever and, regardless of philosophy, they will in the end choose to do so.

And The Eldest agreed. — Ox

1. C says:

i am seriously for the last part of the quote. it’s too bad, glen left before he even had a chance to witness all these things on the site. time wasn’t on his side…. :(

I tend to agree – it would take something like a new ice-age moving in almost overnight to keep it from happening. Or an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera. Something of that magnitude.

3. K'Rhiya says:

Sad to say the humans of this world have another button they can push. Though fear of mass destruction keeps them from doing it, fear of the unknown is greater.

Bob is honored by your reference. However Bob does not intend to be mean or not polite. It’s just that most folks refuse to address difficult questions and shy away from pushing the envelope. You know how it goes, right before an important meeting everyone talks golf or football, a few laughs to avoid the confrontation. The tough questions are ignored like, “Where are the WMD, Mr President?” 500 sheep in congress avoided that one. Same here, folks shy away from asking tough questions. Like if the immortals have kids, then as a parent they would be passionate about passing the immortality on to their kids. Surely someone as wise as the Elder can understand that. Or if my great grandfather died in Aushwietz, then surely one can expect a call for international laws and systems to punish those responsible. Does not mean disrespect.

• MolecularBioProf says:

they already pointed out it’s not inherited.

• Observer says:

Mole, I think Bob’s complaining that immortals should want their kids immortal as well if they were any kind of passionate parent, not reiterating what’s been said…

~~~
        Bob, I have a tendancy to be a tad scared of those that speak of themselves in the third person…lol j/k

I’m pretty sure that not all the immortals are strictly against giving out immortality, if it became available. Some might be skeptical of its possibility to be sure, but that’s not to say they wouldn’t want it for their loved ones. At most, they might be scared of it becoming mass produced.

If you were a child, it would be a pretty tramatic realization to learn of a parent’s immortality, wouldn’t it? Yet another reason why immortals move on sooner rather than later…Parents in general also have this complex where they will try to give their children what they never had, & what more can an immortal give than mortality?

• Bob says:

Parents never want to outlive their kids, it’s a traumatic event. So if the immortals have experienced this, they should be some of the saddest people on earth.

As a caveat the immortals would follow their offsprings with intense concern and protection. Seems that there are a group of mortals that fit that description, royalty.

• MolecularBioProf says:

Not to be impolite. but, Bob, it seems that you’re making comments without actually reading the material on this site. For example, The Hafeem Saul.

• Bob says:

Mole, your the reason I ask the hard questions, mortals like you never get it, and are always holding the smart folks back.

Yes, I see that K’Rhiya. However, I tend to think that those who could push those buttons aren’t likely to know about this particular threat at all. Their science advisers don’t know about THIS project, I don’t think.

6. K'Rhiya says:

Merlin, it’s not the science advisors we’d have to worry about but those in power. I am sure that this site along with many others are under scrutiny, after all we do live in a rather paranoid society now.